The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing aims to enhance your career and employability in the areas of Computer Science and IT by developing a critical awareness and appreciation of current IT issues.
The BTEC Higher National Diploma is directly awarded by Pearson Education, UK, one of the leading examining and awarding bodies in the United Kingdom.
BTEC Higher National Diploma qualifications are widely welcomed by the employers, recognized by many international professional bodies and having access to UK and other universities to enter into the second or final year of an honours degree in Computer Science subject to the respective universities discretion.
BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing provides the learner:
- To equip students with computing skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global computing environment.
- To provide insight and understanding into international computing operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised market place.
- To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in computing, or progress to higher education qualifications such as such as level 5 diploma in computing or a related area.
- To provide opportunities for students to achieve vendor accredited certifications.
- To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field.
- To provide opportunities for those students with a global outlook to aspire to international career pathways.
- To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs.
About Pearson Education (UK)
- Pearson Education is part of Pearson, the world’s leading learning company. They believe education is for everyone, and they provide the tools for people to learn: whatever their age, wherever they are, in whatever fashion they choose. Pearson qualifications and resources ensure that students develop their skills and knowledge to the full, and are equipped to contribute positively in their chosen learning pathways and careers all over the world.
- Pearson Education is the world’s leading learning company with a portfolio that provides innovative textbooks, assessment and testing, technology solutions and integrated services. Pearson qualification suite includes Edexcel academic, BTEC vocational and LCCI qualifications.
- Every day all over the world Pearson products and services help learning flourish and wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
- Pass at least one subject at Grade E in GCE A level (or)
- equivalent foreign qualifications (or) possess level 3 Diploma from Pearson BTEC / NCC Education (or)
- Mature candidates (minimum 30 years old with 8 years of working experience) with NITEC or minimum 2 GCE O level passes (at least C6 in English and any other subject) or 3 GCE N level passes (at least grade 5 in English and any two other subjects)
- Language Proficiency: Students entering the programme whose first language is not English or students whose medium of instruction on their qualifying programme was not English will be required to demonstrate a proficiency in English to TOEFL 500 / IELTS 5.5 or pass in BMC English entry test
Articulate with: Final year top up Computing-related degree.
Course Outline & Programme Structure
The Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Computing is a qualification with a minimum of 120 credits. The modules, levels and credit values of the programme satisfying the above requirements are given below.
|4||Database Design & Development||4||15|
|6||Managing a Successful Computing Project||4||15|
|Any two modules from the following three modules will be offered|
|7 & 8||
Software Development Lifecycles
|Website Design & Development||4||15|
|Maths for Computing||4||15|
- Define basic algorithms to carry out an operation and outline the process of programming an application.
- Explain the characteristics of procedural, object-orientated and event-driven programming, conduct an analysis of a suitable Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
- Implement basic algorithms in code using an IDE.
- Determine the debugging process and explain the importance of a coding standard.
- Examine networking principles and their protocols.
- Explain networking devices and operations.
- Design efficient networked systems.
- Implement and diagnose networked systems.
- Demonstrate a range of interpersonal and transferable communication skills to a target audience.
- Apply critical reasoning and thinking to a range of problem-solving scenarios.
- Discuss the importance and dynamics of working within a team and the impact of team working in different environments.
- Examine the need for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and its role within the workplace and for higher level learning.
Managing a Successful Computing Project
- Establish project aims, objectives and timeframes based on the chosen theme.
- Conduct small-scale research, info. gathering & data collection to generate knowledge to support the project.
- Present the project and communicate appropriate recommendations based on meaningful conclusions drawn from the evidence findings and/or analysis.
- Reflect on the value gained from conducting the project and its usefulness to support sustainable organisational performance.
Software Development Lifecycles
- Describe different software development lifecycles.
- Explain the importance of a feasibility study.
- Undertake a software development lifecycle.
- Discuss the suitability of software behavioural design techniques.
Website Design & Development
- Explain server technologies and management services associated with hosting and managing websites.
- Categorise website technologies, tools and software used to develop websites.
- Utilise website technologies, tools and techniques with good design principles to create a multipage website.
- Create and use a Test Plan to review the performance and design of a multipage website.
Maths for Computing
- Use applied number theory in practical computing scenarios.
- Analyse events using probability theory and probability distributions.
- Determine solutions of graphical examples using geometry and vector methods.
- Evaluate problems concerning differential and integral calculus.
Database Design and Development
- Use an appropriate design tool to design a relational database system for a substantial problem.
- Develop a fully functional relational database system, based on an existing system design.
- Test the system against user and system requirements.
- Produce technical and user documentation.
Criteria of Award
Student must pass all the 8 modules to be awarded with the Pearson BTEC HNC Diploma in Computing and Systems Development. Students must satisfy the minimum attendance requirements – 75% for Part-Time students and 90% for Full-time (both local and international students) – in all the modules for the award of Certificate of Attendance (COA).
Students are awarded a Pass, Merit and Distinction qualification grade using the points gained through all 120 credits at level 4 units.
Points per credit
Overall grade for the Higher National Diploma is awarded based on the table below:
Expected date of release of Assessment result
|$7,001.20 (FULL PAYMENT)||S$7001.20 (FULL PAYMENT)||$7,714.46 (FULL PAYMENT)|
|S$7271.37 (2 INSTALLMENT)|
|S$7541.55 (12 INSTALLMENT)|
- All fees are subject to the prevailing Goods and Services Tax (GST) unless specified otherwise.
- Course Application Fee is NOT REFUNDABLE.
- Do not pay your school fees before you have signed the standard student contract.
- All fees quoted are in Singapore Dollar (S$).
- Fees are subject to periodic changes without prior notice.
- BMC accepts the following methods of payment:
- Cashier’s order payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Cheque payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Credit cards (VISA & Mastercard)
|12 months||9 months|
View Ang Mo Kio Commencement Dates
View Jurong East Commencement Dates
BMC International College’s customer service executives are here to assist you by providing you with all the necessary information you would need to register for any of our courses.
Drop us an inquiry now and one of our customer service executives will get back to you as soon as we can. Looking forward to hearing from you!
By clicking send applicants agree to provide the above personal information to BMC International College, as such applicants consent to the collection and use of personal data by BMC International College for purposes related to course enquiries.