Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business (Accounting and Finance) is directly awarded by Pearson, UK. The Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business offers students a broad introduction to the subject area via a mandatory core of learning. At Level 5 students develop a broad knowledge and awareness of key aspects of the business sector through 15 units.
Graduates successfully completing the Higher National Diploma will
- have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely.
- have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems.
- have developed a range of transferable skills to ensure effective team working, independent initiatives, organisational competence and problem-solving strategies.
- be adaptable and flexible in their approach to business, show resilience under pressure, and meet challenging targets within a given resource.
- have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making.
- be able to perform effectively in their chosen field.
Graduates successfully completing the Higher National Diploma will
About Pearson Education (UK)
- Pearson Education is the UK’s largest awarding body offering academic and vocational qualifications and testing to schools, colleges, employers and other places of learning in the UK and internationally.
- They believe education is for everyone, and they provide the tools for people to learn: whatever their age, wherever they are, in whatever fashion they choose. Pearson qualifications and resources ensure that students develop their skills and knowledge to the full, and are equipped to contribute positively in their chosen learning pathways and careers all over the world.
- Pearson Education is the world’s leading learning company with a portfolio that provides innovative textbooks, assessment and testing, technology solutions and integrated services. Pearson qualification suite includes Edexcel academic, BTEC vocational and LCCI qualifications.
- Pass at least one subject at Grade E in GCE A level (or)
- equivalent foreign qualifications (or)
- possess level 3 Diploma from Pearson BTEC / LCCI/ NCC Education (or)
- Mature candidates (minimum 30 years old with 8 years of working experience) with NITEC or minimum 2 GCE O level passes (at least C6 in English and any other subject) or 3 GCE N level passes (at least grade 5 in English and any two other subjects)
Language Proficiency: Students entering the programme whose first language is not English or students whose medium of instruction on their qualifying programme was not English will be required to demonstrate a proficiency in English to TOEFL 500 / IELTS 5.5 or pass in BMC English entry test
Articulate with: Final year top up Bachelor degree in Business-related field.
Course Outline & Programme Structure:
The Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business is a qualification with a minimum of 240 credits. This is made up of 15 units, with a value of 15 or 30 credits. The modules, levels and credit values of the programme satisfying the above requirements are given below.
Business and the Business Environment
|3||Human Resource Management||4||
|4||Management and Operations||4||15|
|6||Managing a Successful Business Project||4||15|
Business IT Systems
|14||Advanced Management Accounting||5||15|
Business and the Business Environment
- Explain the different types, size and scope of organisations.
- Demonstrate the interrelationship of the various functions within an organisation and how they link to organisational structure.
- Use contemporary examples to demonstrate both the positive and negative influence/ impact the macro environment has on business operations.
- Determine the internal strengths and weaknesses of specific businesses and explain their interrelationship with external macro factors.
Human Resource Management
- Explain the purpose and scope of Human Resource Management in terms of resourcing an organisation with talent and skills appropriate to fulfil business objectives.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the key elements of Human Resource Management in an organisation.
- Analyse internal and external factors that affect Human Resource Management decision-making, including employment legislation.
- Apply Human Resource Management practices in a work-related context.
Management and Operations
- Differentiate between the role of a leader and the function of a manager.
- Apply the role of a leader and the function of a manager in given context.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the role leaders and managers play in the operations function of an organisation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between leadership and management in a contemporary business environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of management accounting systems.
- Apply a range of management accounting techniques.
- Explain the use of planning tools used in management accounting.
- Compare ways in which organisations could use management accounting to respond to financial problems.
Managing a Successful Business Project
- Establish project aims, objectives and timeframes based on the chosen theme.
- Conduct small-scale research, information gathering and data collection to generate knowledge to support the project.
- Present the project and communicate appropriate recommendations based on meaningful conclusions drawn from the evidence findings and/or analysis.
- Reflect on the value gained from conducting the project and its usefulness to support sustainable organisational performance.
- Explain the basic nature of the legal system.
- Illustrate the potential impact of the law on a business.
- Suggest appropriate legal solutions to business problems.
- Recommend appropriate legal solutions based upon alternative legal advice provided.
- Record business transactions using double entry book-keeping, and be able to extract a trial balance.
- Prepare final accounts for sole-traders, partnerships or limited companies in accordance with appropriate principles, conventions and standards.
- Perform bank reconciliations to ensure company and bank records are correct.
- Reconcile control accounts and shift recorded transactions from the suspense accounts to the right accounts.
- Analyse the influence of culture, politics and power on the behaviour of others in an organisational context.
- Evaluate how to motivate individuals and teams to achieve a goal.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to cooperate effectively with others.
- Apply concepts and philosophies of organisational behaviour to a given business situation.
Business IT Systems
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of different IT systems in support of organisational objectives.
- Analyse flexible and reliable IT systems that respond to organisational requirements.
- Evaluate IT systems that support value-added change within organisations.
- Recommend practical IT systems solutions to given organisational scenarios.
- Apply different approaches used to support effective decision-making.
- Analyse financial management principles which are used to support effective financial strategies.
- Evaluate the role of management accountants and accounting control systems.
- Evaluate ways in which financial decision-making supports sustainable performance.
- Analyse the context and purpose of financial reporting.
- Interpret financial statements.
- Evaluate financial reporting standards and theoretical models and concepts.
- Evaluate international differences in financial reporting.
Advanced Management Accounting
- Analyse the purpose for developing and presenting financial information.
- Evaluate the use of management accounting techniques to support organisational performance.
- Analyse actual and standard costs to control and correct variances.
- Evaluate how a changing business environment impacts on management accounting.
- Examine appropriate research methodologies and approaches as part of the research process.
- Conduct and analyse research relevant to a business research project.
- Communicate the outcomes of a research project to identified stakeholders.
- Reflect on the application of research methodologies and concepts.
Student must pass all the 15 modules to be awarded with the Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business. Students must satisfy the minimum attendance requirements – 75% for Part-Time students and 90% for Full-time (both local and international) students – in all the modules for the award of Certificate of Attendance (COA).
The calculation of the overall qualification grade is based on the student’s performance in all units to the value of 240 credits. Students are awarded a Pass, Merit or Distinction qualification grade using the points gained through all 120 credits at Level 5, based on unit achievement.
- All units in valid combination must be attempted (120 credits)
- At least 105 credits must be Pass or above
- All 120 credits count in calculating the grade
The overall qualification grade will be calculated based on student performance in Level 5 units.
Points per credit:
- Pass: 4
- Merit: 6
- Distinction: 8
Expected date of release of Assessment result
|$13,176.05 (FULL PAYMENT)||S$12060.77 (FULL PAYMENT)||$13,568.35 (FULL PAYMENT)|
|S$12330.96 (3 INSTALLMENT)|
|S$12601.12 (12 INSTALLMENT)|
- All fees are subject to the prevailing Goods and Services Tax (GST) unless specified otherwise.
- Course Application Fee is NOT REFUNDABLE.
- Do not pay your school fees before you have signed the standard student contract.
- All fees quoted are in Singapore Dollar (S$).
- Fees are subject to periodic changes without prior notice.
- BMC accepts the following methods of payment:
- Cashier’s order payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Cheque payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Credit cards (VISA & Mastercard)
View Ang Mo Kio Commencement Dates
View Jurong East Commencement Dates
|COURSE COMMENCEMENT DATES||TIME||
|11 Jan 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|22 Feb 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|05 Apr 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|17 May 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|28 Jun 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|09 Aug 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|20 Sep 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|01 Nov 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|13 Dec 2021||3:00pm - 6:00pm||Mon - Fri|
|COURSE COMMENCEMENT DATES||
|01 Nov 2020||07:00PM - 10:00PM||Mon & Wed|
|05 Jan 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|23 Feb 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|13 Apr 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|01 Jun 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|20 Jul 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|07 Sep 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|26 Oct 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
|14 Dec 2021||07:00pm - 10:00pm||Tue & Thu|
Vice Principal/Head of Department
HP:(+65) 9338 8345
Telephone:(+65) 6565 5655
Mr. Adai kalavan is currently the Head of Department for Computing and Engineering Programmes at BMC International College. He is managing the University of Hertfordshire, Engineering Degree programmes and Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma programmes in Computing and Engineering.
Adai kalavan holds a Masters Degree in Computer Applications from University of Madras and a Bachelors degree in Science majoring in Physics from Madurai Kamaraj University, India. In addition, he obtained Advance Diploma in Teaching Higher Education validated by Nottingham Trent University, UK. He also holds the certifications from Singapore Institute of Technical Education (ITE) for The Effective Supervisor, Coaching Skills, Planning & Implementing OJT and Instructional Skills.
Adai kalavan has 15 years of experience in managing UK University programmes in Singapore PEIs. Prior coming to BMC International College, he was the Head of Department for Business and Computing programmes at Raffles Academy and Stamford Raffles College, where he managed the University of Derby and Nottingham Trent University MBA, BABM and BSc programs.
He started his career in the marketing industry and after a short period he moved on to the education sector. In his 20 years of vast experience in Higher Education, he has lectured various Computing and IT modules at Masters, Bachelors, Higher/Advance Diploma and Diploma levels. His students achieved top ranks in their academic studies at regional and international levels. Adai’s motivation and guidance has journeyed his students to participate in various international competitions and to achieve top prizes.
Masters Degree in Computer Applications from University of Madras
BMC International College’s customer service executives are here to assist you by providing you with all the necessary information you would need to register for any of our courses.
Drop us an inquiry now and one of our customer service executives will get back to you as soon as we can. Looking forward to hearing from you!
By clicking send applicants agree to provide the above personal information to BMC International College, as such applicants consent to the collection and use of personal data by BMC International College for purposes related to course enquiries.