This course is intended for working adults who have basic knowledge of English language and wish to improve the quality of workplace conversations. The course focuses on more complicated workplace situations where more advanced oral communication skills are required. Trainees will learn to use more complicated phrases and sentences to communicate about work confusion, workplace behavior and ethics and to handle work-related issues. Upon completion of the course, the trainee will be able to: use different verb tenses and forms to form more complicated sentences; use verbs in both active and passive voice to communicate more effectively; identify turn-taking and ask questions for clarifications; communicate effectively with colleagues and customers on the phone; give suggestions and opinions; talk about workplace behaviour and ethics; and communicate effectively to handle work-related issues.
1. A Telephone Call
- use common phrases on the telephone to make and answer a call
- master telephoning techniques to improve confidence when telephoning
- master phone etiquettes
- get people to slow down on the phone
- put someone through
- take and leave a message
2. Calling for Help
- describe or state your work problems on the phone
- ask for advice or help
- form and use Wh-questions to ask for details
- use appropriate phrases to express appreciation
3. Can You Say That Again?
- express confusion about what is intended
- use standard phrases to ask for repetition and clarification
- use simple words or phrases to explain and clarify in details what is meant
4. Running Errands
- name and explain verbally to others the common daily errands at work
- name and explain verbally to other how people at a workplace are involved in these errands
- converse effectively to get errands done
5. At the Post Office
- name popular post office services
- explain how these services can be engaged at workplaces
- communicate effectively with post office staff to get the transactions done
6. Giving Your Opinion
- use phrases to show that personal opinions are being given and that they are subjective
- express opinions clearly
- ask for others’ feedback on personal opinions
- use phrases to show appreciation to others’ feedback
- respond professionally to others’ feedback
7. Organization Hierarchy
- read an organizational chart
- talk about tasks, duties and responsibilities of people at workplaces
- talk about the reporting system at workplaces
- talk about communication channels at workplaces
8. Business Morality
- name basic ethic principles at workplaces
- describe situations where people tend to break the rules of ethics
- give personal opinions on how these issues can be settled
- discuss how the management can help to solve these problems
9. Dealing with Problems
- name problems people usually have at workplaces
- use adverbial clause of reason to state the reasons why people usually face these problems
- use verbs and phrases indicating suggestions to suggest solutions to these problem
- recall and memorize the learnt knowledge
- be actively engaged in classroom discussion on given topics
Criteria of Award
- All fees are subject to the prevailing Goods and Services Tax (GST) unless specified otherwise.
- Course Application Fee is NOT REFUNDABLE.
- Do not pay your school fees before you have signed the standard student contract.
- All fees quoted are in Singapore Dollar (S$).
- Fees are subject to periodic changes without prior notice.
- BMC accepts the following methods of payment:
- Cashier’s order payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Cheque payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, Diners Club & American Express)
“ALL FEES ARE SUBJECT TO GST UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE”
Part Time Fee Structure
(shows the full breakdown of total payable fees)
|Course Application Fee||$50.00|
|Course Material Fee||$20.00|
|Sub Total Course Fees (Except Non-GST items)||$520.00|
|Grand Total Amount (Incl GST & Course Application Fee)||$556.40|
View Ang Mo Kio Commencement Dates
Waiver of $50 Registration Fee is Not Entitled for Short Courses
Pre-register with us to receive a waiver of $50 Registration Fee when you decide to enrol. This offer is only valid for online pre-registration.
This pre-registration is applicable only to Singapore citizens, PRs and valid pass holders.
Not applicable to subsidies enrolment
(SDF/WDA, NTUC, Mendaki, CDAC, CDC).