This course lays the basics for studies in areas of counselling and clinical Psychology. It addresses various factors that lead to diverse conditions which inhibit individuals from functioning effectively and cause concern among children, adolescents, adults and the aged. Factors such as physical, mental health conditions, emotional turmoil, stress, grief and addiction are seen to be at rise, leaving people affected, families confused and lost, affecting loved ones and disrupting normal living. This course aims at creating awareness among individuals on leading a balanced life and enables them to look forward for a career in the field of counselling and Psychology through further higher studies. This course is open to all those who wish to learn about counselling & psychology.
NOTE: This is not a recognised qualification to become a registered counsellor. Please refer to the Singapore Association for Counselling on how to become a registered counsellor in Singapore.
Introduction to Clinical and Counselling Psychology:
- Schools of Psychology and counselling
- Prominent Theories, Views and Approaches
- The Psycho dynamic Approach
- Behavioural School of Thought
- Cognitive School of Thought
- Humanistic School of thought
Basics of Clinical Psychology and Mental Health:
- Mental Health and Popular Historical views
- Understanding Abnormality
- Criteria of Abnormality
- Classifications and Mental Disorders – DSM IV
- Advantages and limitations of classification
Foundations of Counselling
- Introduction to counselling
- Counsellor – Client relationship
- Ethics, Roles and Responsibility
- Counselling skills and processes
- Counselling Methods
Counselling Issues and contexts:
- Stress and Adjustment Disorders
- Understanding Stress, Stressors, Causal factors.
- Trauma and Grief
- Introduction to different Anxiety conditions, causes and treatment
- Coping Techniques
- Relevance and Importance of Counselling in today’s context.
Criteria of Award
Expected date of release of Assessment result
- All fees are subject to the prevailing Goods and Services Tax (GST) unless specified otherwise.
- Course Application Fee is NOT REFUNDABLE.
- Do not pay your school fees before you have signed the standard student contract.
- All fees quoted are in Singapore Dollar (S$).
- Fees are subject to periodic changes without prior notice.
- BMC accepts the following methods of payment:
- Cashier’s order payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Cheque payable to BMC International College Pte Ltd
- Credit cards (VISA & Mastercard)
View Ang Mo Kio Commencement Dates
Mr Laurence Lemuel Basil O. Losbanos
In-Charge Counselling and Psychology
Telephone: (+65) 6565 5655
Current Designation: In-Charge Counselling and Psychology (BMC International College)
Professional Qualification: Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Mr. Laurence graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Psychology from Xavier University – Ateneo de Cagayan, Philippines in 2010. He has extensive experience in Sales and Retail Management as well as visual merchandising in countries such as Georgia, Armenia and Singapore. He has also facilitated multiple Customer Management Training Programmes for Customer Service Representatives in countries such as India and the Philippines while in the BPO Industry. To pursue his passion in education, he attained a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) from the British Council Singapore. His various teaching experiences include Early Childhood Development at Cambridge Philippines as well as teaching Counselling, Applied Psychology and Child Psychology to students at BMC International College